• Renter
  • COVID-19 affected person
  • VIC

What is this resource?

New Victorian renting laws came into effect on 29 March 2021.

This page provides an overview of what happens if:

  • you fall behind in rent;
  • you are facing eviction;
  • whether you can still apply for a rent reduction;
  • If you can end your rent agreement; and
  • where you can get financial and legal help.

This page is up to date as of 18 January 2022 and applies only to residential renters in Victoria, Australia.

Can I be evicted?

From 29 March 2021, the eviction moratorium is no longer in place and there are certain circumstances where your rental provider (previously called a landlord) can take steps to evict you.

If you fall 14 days behind in rent, your rental provider can now issue you with a Notice to Vacate, which is the first step in the eviction process. You don’t have to leave if you get a Notice to Vacate – you still have options. You can use Dear Landlord to find out your rights if you’re behind in rent, and what you can do in this situation.

Can I still apply for a rent reduction?

If you are struggling with rent because of COVID-19, you can still ask for a rent reduction, however there is no longer a legal requirement for your rental provider to accept it. You can use Dear Landlord to help draft a rent reduction to your rental provider.


Dear Landlord: A free self-help tool for renters in Victoria

If you are behind in rent or struggling to pay rent, Dear Landlord can help you understand your options based on your circumstances. Simply answer a few questions and Dear Landlord will help determine the best way forward, whether that’s helping you draft a payment plan request to your rental provider, request a rent reduction, prepare a VCAT review application, get ready for a VCAT hearing, end a lease, and finding further financial or legal help.

Use Dear Landlord


You should get legal help if:

  • You receive a Notice to Vacate.
  • You have a VCAT hearing coming up.
  • VCAT has made a possession order against you, but your rental provider or real estate agent hasn’t yet purchased a warrant of possession from VCAT.
  • A warrant of possession has been purchased, but it hasn’t yet been executed by police (for example, by changing the locks at your rental property).
  • You have been threatened with eviction.
  • Your rental has been affected by family violence.

For more about legal help, see Who can help me? below.

The residential tenancies list at VCAT is still hearing eviction matters by telephone or video. We encourage you to get legal advice before attending your hearing (see Who can help me?).


Do you need legal help?

You might be eligible for free legal help from our lawyers. Making an online application is the quickest and best way to apply for free legal help.

Apply now

Takes less than 8 minutes
(4.4 star rating)

Do I have to pay ordinary rent?

From 29 March 2021, renters will have to pay their ordinary rent unless they have a current rent reduction agreement or dispute resolution order. If you fall behind in rent from 29 March 2021, your rental provider can take steps to evict you for not paying rent.

Rent increases

Your rental provider can increase your rent from 29 March 2021. For any new agreement since 19 June 2019, your rent can only be increased once every 12 months. You should get legal advice if you’re not sure.

Where can I get financial help to pay my rent?

To find out about what financial support is available for Victorians, see our resource What COVID-19 financial support is available for Victorians?

If you need more financial support you may be eligible for a one-off payment towards your rent if you are in financial stress, through the Victorian Government’s Private Rental Assistance Program. Call your local homelessness and housing organisation to find out if you can access the program. This is not generally available for renters in public or community housing.

You can also speak to a financial counsellor. Financial counsellors are qualified professionals who provide free information, advice and advocacy if you are in financial difficulty or struggling with debts. Depending on your circumstances, financial counsellors can help you have debts reduced, access concession rates on bills and utilities, and apply for no interest loans. Find a free financial counsellor.

Can I end my rental agreement if I can’t pay my rent or I want to move out?

You can end your rental agreement in certain circumstances. Dear Landlord can give you more information and where to get legal help if you want to take this step.

Who can help me?

Legal help

Justice Connect’s Homeless Law

Justice Connect’s Homeless Law service can provide legal representation if you receive a Notice to Vacate from your rental provider, if you have a VCAT hearing coming up, or you missed a VCAT hearing.

Our Homeless Law service can also offer help with rentals affected by family violence, and with housing debts.

You can apply for our help online or call 1800 606 313 (freecall from landlines).

Victoria Legal Aid

Victoria Legal Aid’s Legal Help telephone information and advice line is operating, and renters can call 1300 792 387 for assistance. There will be a surge in demand and delays, so it is recommended that only renters with current legal proceedings call that number for assistance.

Tenants Victoria

Tenants Victoria can provide legal advice via email or renters can call on 03 9416 2577 (Mon to Fri 10am to 2pm). They have resources for renters available online.

Your local community legal service

Your local community legal service may also be able to offer you legal help.

Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service

If you are a Victorian renter who identifies as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, you may want to contact the Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service for legal help.

Tenant advocates

You can also find a free tenant advocate (someone who isn’t a lawyer but has experience helping renters enforce their rights) in your local area who can help with advice and representing you at a hearing if you have a private rental property. Find your local Tenancy Assistance and Advocacy Program provider.

Anika Legal

Anika is a free online legal service that provides advice and casework for Victorian tenants who need repairs at their rental property or help with bond return at the end of a rental agreement.

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria have limited phone services and are prioritising urgent matters. You can also make an online enquiry if your matter isn’t urgent. Consumer Affairs Victoria have a guide for renters available online.

This page will be updated regularly to reflect any changes that impact on the housing security of renters in Victoria.

More self-help resources

  This resource was last updated on 22 November 2021. This is legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. You should always contact a lawyer for advice specific to your situation. Please view our disclaimer for more information.