Dear Landlord

Self-help tools for private renters who have fallen behind in rent.

If you are a tenant in a private rental property and are falling behind with your rent, Dear Landlord can help you to take early, proactive steps to try and avoid eviction.

Rent arrears are the most common reason people get evicted from private rental properties and we know that it can be hard to work out what do when facing rental stress.

Dear Landlord can help you if:
  • you are renting a property in Victoria
  • the property you’re renting is owned by a private landlord (rented either directly from the landlord or through a real estate agent)
  • you have fallen behind with your rent payments or are worried that you might miss a payment.

Our 90-second animation provides an overview of the eviction process. Placing yourself in the process can help you identify what immediate steps you can take to try and stay on top of your situation.

Watch the video


Use our letter writer

The Dear Landlord letter writer will ask you to enter some simple information (names, contact details, how much rent you owe and how much you can pay towards the arrears in addition to your rent) and draft a letter on your behalf that you can print or send by email to your landlord or real estate agent.

Start letter writer

Use the help tool to get legal help for your situation.

I need help

More links and resources

Legal help

Justice Connect Homeless Law
  03 8636 4408 / 1800 606 313 (free from landlines)

Tenants Victoria
  03 9416 2577

Victoria Legal Aid
  1300 792 387

Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service
(for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples)
  03 9418 5999

Community Legal Centres
Some community legal centres provide legal help with tenancy matters. Find your local community legal centre on the Federation of Community Legal Centres (Vic) website:

Family violence support

Safe steps – 24/7 family violence support service
  1800 015 188

(Family violence counselling, information & referral service)
  1800 737 732

Financial help


National Debt Helpline – Talk to a financial counsellor
  1800 007 007

MoneySmart budget planner

Social workers

Social workers can provide one-on-one support when you’re going through a difficult time.

Contact your local community service or local council to find out what support services may be available to you.

Tenant advocates

Find your local Tenancy Assistance and Advocacy Program provider on the Consumer Affairs Victoria website:

For public and community housing tenants

Find your local Tenancy Plus support provider:


If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness call the Victorian Statewide Homelessness Support Line on 1800 825 955. If you call during the day you will be connected to your nearest homelessness entry service. If you call outside of business hours, you will be connected to an after-hours service.

Other useful resources:

  1300 018 228

Consumer Affairs Victoria – Goods left behind by tenants

Ask Izzy – online tool that helps you find local help services
Telstra mobile users can access Ask Izzy even if they don’t have credit.



Was this page helpful?
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.