Free tools and resources for renters in Victoria 

There are lots of reasons you might miss a rent payment, but you have rights and we can help you avoid an eviction.

Dear Landlord is a free online legal tool that we have designed to guide you through the process, provide information about your rights, identify what actions you need to take, and help you write a letter to your rental provider.

Use Dear Landlord

What is Dear Landlord?

Dear Landlord is a free tool to help you stay in your home.

What can Dear Landlord do for me?

Dear Landlord can help you to:

  • Understand your options to stay safely in your home
  • Draft a letter to your rental provider to negotiate a payment plan
  • Prepare for VCAT or lodge a VCAT review application if you missed your hearing
  • Find important financial and legal help

Can anyone use Dear Landlord?

Dear Landlord can help you if: 

  • You are renting a residential property in Victoria, Australia 
  • You rent from a private rental provider, not a public or community housing provider. You may rent the property directly from the rental provider or through a real estate agent.
  • You are behind in rent or might fall behind in rent.
  • You are an Australian citizen, permanent resident, temporary or any other type of visa holder

How long does it take to use Dear Landlord?

All it takes is 10 minutes. The process is quick and simple, and can be done on any device.

Use Dear Landlord now

  Victoria has new renting laws.

Under the new renting laws which came into effect on 29 March 2021, the eviction process has changed. This means if you fall behind in rent due to COVID-19, your rental provider can take steps to evict you.

Dear Landlord has been updated to help you navigate these changes.

If you want to find out more information about the new laws, see our resource What do the new rental laws mean for Victorian renters?

You can also find further information about Victoria’s new tenancy laws at:

Free resources for renters in Victoria

Understanding your rights during COVID-19

Resources for VCAT

What to do if you've received a Notice to Vacate

At risk of homelessness? 

You can contact Justice Connect’s Homeless Law service 

Get help

More links and resources

Where to get legal help

Justice Connect
Ph: 03 8636 4408 / 1800 606 313 (free from landlines)

Apply online at help.justiceconnect.org.au/homelesslaw

Tenants Victoria
Ph: 03 9416 2577

Victoria Legal Aid
Ph: 1300 792 387

Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service
For Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples
Ph: 03 9418 5999

Some community legal centres provide legal help with tenancy matters.
Find your local community legal centre on the Federation of Community Legal Centres (Vic) website.

Where to find family violence support

Safe steps
24/7 family violence support service
Ph: 1800 015 188

Family violence counselling, information and referral service
Ph: 1800 737 732

Where to find financial help

More resources for housing and social services

Social workers

Social workers can provide one-on-one support when you’re going through a difficult time. Contact your local community service or local Council to find out what support services may be available to you.

Tenant advocates

Find your local Tenancy Assistance and Advocacy Program provider on the Consumer Affairs Victoria website.

For public and community housing tenants
Find your local Tenancy Plus support provider online.


If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness call the Victorian Statewide Homelessness Support Line on 1800 825 955. If you call during the day you will be connected to your nearest homelessness entry service. If you call outside of business hours, you will be connected to an after-hours service.

More resources:

  • VCAT
  • Consumer Affairs Victoria
    Contact to retrieve goods left behind by tenants
  • Ask Izzy
    Online tool that helps you find local help services.
    Telstra mobile users can access Ask Izzy even if they don’t have credit.