• LGBTQI+ person
  • Young person
  • VIC

What is this resource?

This is a resource for trans and gender diverse young people and their families in Victoria.

It answers some common questions trans and gender diverse young people, and their families, have about changing their name.

It includes:

  • changing your name on your birth certificate
  • changing your name on federal documents, like passports, or Centrelink and Medicare records

  Not in Victoria?

This resource is also available for:

NSW | QLD | SA | ACT | NT | TAS | WA

Can you change your gender status on formal documents?

Yes, but there are requirements you need to meet.

By reading this resource we hope you will get a better understanding of what’s involved with legally changing your name in Victoria.

What steps are involved with making a change?

The steps for applying to change your name on formal documents differs depending on whether the document you would like to change is issued by:

1. a state or territory government organisation


2. a federal government organisation

See how you can change key documents below.

How to change the name on your birth certificate

Birth certificates are issued and regulated at a state and territory level. This means that the approach to changing the recorded name on your birth certificate will depend on the process used by that state or territory’s Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (which is the government agency responsible for issuing and regulating birth certificates). In Victoria, this is Births Deaths and Marriages Victoria.

In Victoria, you can only change your name once in a 12 month period, and three times in your life time. There are exceptions but they are subject to the Registrar’s personal approval.

Does age matter?


Young people over the age of 18 can make an application directly whereas if you are under 18 years of age, your parents or guardians will need to make the application on your behalf.

If you are under 18, you will need to ask your parents to make the application.

As a young person under 18 years old, you can change your name on your birth certificate through an application made by your parents or guardians (it’s not possible for you to make an application to change your name by yourself until you are over 18 years old).

The application must be submitted in the state/territory that you were born in, or the one where you have lived for the most part immediately before making the application.

If your parents are separated, one parent cannot change a child’s name unless:

  • they have received consent from the other parent; or
  • or obtained a court order approving the name change; or
  • been granted sole parental responsibility by a court order.

  Most trans and gender diverse young people will not have to go to the Family Court to apply for access to Stage 2 (hormone) or Stage 3 (surgical) treatment, where their parents and doctors agree the treatment is appropriate.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need to go to court to apply for access to Stage 2 or Stage 3 treatment, then it is possible to change your name on these applications and seek an order at the same time requiring the Registrar from Births Deaths and Marriages Victoria to give effect to that name change order.


To be eligible in Victoria, you need to:

  • Have been born in VIC


  • If born overseas, have lived in the state for at least 12 months prior to making the application

If you were born in Australia in another State or Territory, you must apply to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in that State or Territory.

How can you, or your parent or guardian, apply?

You can apply by filling out the change of name application form, attaching the necessary supporting documents (e.g. proof of identity), and paying the required fee.

You might be able to apply to have the fee waived or reduced. For example, if you submit a change of record of sex application together with a change of name application, you will be eligible for a waiver of the change of name application fee.

For a link to the form and details of costs, see the ‘Where to get help and more information’ section below.

If you are under 18, both parents must fill out the form unless:

  • There is only a sole parent named on your birth certificate
  • The other parent has passed away, or
  • The Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia, or another Australian court or tribunal, has made an order approving the proposed name change on application by one parent.

If you have a guardian who has parental responsibility, they need to fill out the application.

If you are over the age of 12, you will also be required to complete a consent form with the application.  

How to change your name on federal government documents, such as your passport, and on records with Services Australia

You will need to provide an updated birth certificate that has your new name, change-of-name certificate, or citizenship certificate, to the agency that looks after the relevant document or record that you want to change.

This means you will need to have first successfully applied to the Victorian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (or a legalised foreign equivalent) to change your name.

Where to get help and more information


Do you need legal help?

You might be eligible for free legal help from our lawyers. Making an online application is the quickest and best way to apply for free legal help.

Apply now

Takes less than 8 minutes
(4.4 star rating)

More self-help resources

  This resource was last updated on 6 October 2023. This is legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. You should always contact a lawyer for advice specific to your situation. Please view our disclaimer for more information.