• LGBTQI+ person
  • Young person
  • NT

What is this resource?

This resource is for trans and gender diverse young people and their families in the NT

This fact sheet answers some common questions trans and gender diverse young people, and their families, have about changing their name.

It includes:

  • changing your name on your birth certificate

  • changing your name on federal documents, like passports, or Centrelink and Medicare records

  Not in the Northern Territory?

This resource is also available for:


What can I change?

Can you change your gender status on formal documents?

Yes, but there are requirements you need to meet.

By reading this resource we hope you will get a better understanding of what’s involved with legally changing your name in the Northern Territory.

What steps are involved with making a change?

The steps for applying to change your name on formal documents differs depending on whether the document you would like to change is issued by:

1. a state or territory government organisation


2. a federal government organisation

See how you can change key documents below.

How to change the name on your birth certificate

Birth certificates are issued and regulated at a state and territory level. This means that the approach to changing the recorded name on your birth certificate will depend on the process used by that state or territory’s Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (which is the government agency responsible for issuing and regulating birth certificates).

In the NT, this is the NT Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages.

Am I eligible to make an application in the NT?

You can apply to change your name in the NT if you were born in the NT or have been a resident of the NT for more than 12 consecutive months.

Does age matter?


Young people over the age of 18 can make an application directly. Whereas, if you are under 18 years of age, your parents or guardians will need to make the application on your behalf.

If you are under 18, you will need to ask your parents to make the application

As a young person under 18 years old, you can change your name on your birth certificate through an application made by your parents or guardians (it’s not possible for you to make an application to change your name by yourself until you are over 18 years old).

If your parents are separated, one parent cannot change a child’s name unless they have received consent from the other parent, obtained a relevant order approving the name change, or sole parental responsibility has been granted to that parent by a court or any other law.

Most trans and gender diverse young people will not have to go to the Family Court to apply for access to Stage 2 (hormone) or Stage 3 (surgical) treatment, where their parents and doctors agree the treatment is appropriate.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need to go to court to apply for access to Stage 2 or Stage 3 treatment, then it is possible to change your name on these applications and seek an order at the same time requiring the Registrar from the NT Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages to give effect to that name change order.


How can you, or your parent or guardian, apply?

You can apply by filling out the change of name application form attaching the necessary supporting documents (e.g. proof of identity), and paying the required fee. You might be able to apply to have the fee waived or reduced.

For a link to the form and details of costs, see ‘Where to Get Help and Information’.

If you are under 18, both parents must fill out the application form unless:

  • There is only a sole parent named on your birth certificate

  • The other parent has passed away, or

  • The Family Court, or another Australian court or tribunal, has made an order approving the proposed name change on application by one parent.

If you have a guardian who has parental responsibility, they will need to fill out the application form.

How to change your name on federal government documents, such as your passport, and Medicare or Centrelink records

You will need to provide an updated birth certificate that has your new name,  change-of-name certificate, or citizenship certificate to the agency that looks after the relevant document or record that you want to change.

This means you will need to have first successfully applied to the NT Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (or a legalised foreign equivalent) to change your name.

Where to get help and more information

More self-help resources

  This resource was last updated on 04 February 2021. This is legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. You should always contact a lawyer for advice specific to your situation. Please view our disclaimer for more information.

Was this page helpful?
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.